A new study by UHY, the international accounting and consultancy network, shows that twenty nine percent of all global patents for blockchain technology were filed by US businesses last year. This would rank them second in the world, with 92 patents from a total of 314 filed with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in 2017.
The largest filer of global blockchain patents in the US was credit card provider Mastercard, which filed patents for developments including a system for offline blockchain exchanges.
In comparison, Chinese businesses filed 32 percent of all global patents for blockchain technology in 2017. Chinese businesses have invested heavily in blockchain technology in recent years. The Chinese central bank is supporting the development of a blockchain-based trade finance platform to help SMEs access finance.
The study also shows that Australian businesses were third, filing 40 patents (13 percent), with UK businesses in fourth, filing 34 patents related to blockchain (11 percent) with WIPO in 2017 (see table below).
UHY adds that last years biggest filer of all blockchain patents world wide was nChain, a blockchain-focused research firm based in London and Vancouver, which filed 48 patents for blockchain technology at WIPO in 2017.
To help increase blockchain innovation even further in the US, UHY says the Emerging Technology Office of the General Services Administration launched the US Federal Blockchain program. This is designed to help US businesses that are interested in exploring blockchain technology and its implementation within Government. And while European businesses have only filed a limited number of patents at the global level through WIPO, many have been more active at a local level.
- China Ranked first in World of Blockchain and AI Patents Being Filed – USA Runner-up – January 24, 2019
- Block.one Releases EOSIO 1.6.0, Transaction Processing Speeds Could Increase up to 35% – January 24, 2019
- First Cannabis Validation Testing Program Reaches Markets to Create Much Needed Transparency – January 23, 2019
- Eurasian Resources Group is Piloting Blockchain Based Solution on the IBM Blockchain Platform – January 21, 2019
- Coinstar to Give Consumers a Convenient and Easy Way to Buy Bitcoin at Coinstar®Kiosks – January 18, 2019
- Tech Firm IBM and MineHub Join to Build Blockchain-Based Platform for More Efficient Metals & Mining Supply Chain Solution – January 17, 2019
- Former Director of Mobile for TripAdvisor and Viator Joins KeyoCoin Team to Help Build Intuitive Mobile Booking Platform – January 10, 2019
- Project PAI Blockchain Protocol and Blockfolio Signal Beta, Create Platform for AI-Powered 3D Avatars – December 17, 2018
- Nigerian Start-up Announces Revolutionary Global Decentralized Health Platform With A Distributed Blockchain – December 15, 2018
- CEO of Panxora Warns: ‘Draconian’ Regulatory Measures Could Risk Losing Control of Crypto in US – December 13, 2018
- Lancor Scientific Links Use of a Digital Token to Global Blockchain-based Cancer Screening Registry – December 13, 2018
- 4-part Documentary series about the Technology Behind Cryptocurrency Premieres online – December 10, 2018
- Local Community in Belgium wants to Unite all Positive Forces with Province-wide LumbU coin – December 9, 2018
- Filmio about to Take Filmmaking into the Future with Tokenized Entertainment Ecosystem – December 7, 2018
- December Cryptocurrency Predictions Report is Cautiously Positive, while some Coins Continue to drop, Others are Expected to Recover – December 6, 2018
- “Blockchain for Europe” Launched by Leading Global Blockchain Companies – December 4, 2018
- G20 leaders call for taxation system of cryptocurrency – December 3, 2018
- Grand Finale Week of Block.one’s EOS Global Hackathon Kicks Off in Cape Town, set to award US$500,000 to winning team – December 3, 2018
- UTRUST announces Partnership with Payrexx to Change European Crypto-Payment Landscape to User Friendly Platform – November 29, 2018
- SportsFix to launch 150,000 Crypto Wallets with ProximaX – November 27, 2018
Source : BlockchainNews