South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha left for the United States on Thursday to attend a UN forum and hold talks with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
It would be their first meeting since the sudden collapse of a Hanoi summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump a month earlier.
Some media here raised the possibility of a rift between Seoul and Washington on a post-summit strategy, especially related to inter-Korean economic cooperation.
“(We) plan to share perceptions of developments in situations so far and discuss how (the two sides) will coordinate with each other going forward,” Kang told reporters shortly before departing from Incheon International Airport. “I think it will be a good meeting.”
She is scheduled to meet with Pompeo in Washington DC on Friday (local time) after participating in the UN ministerial meeting on peacekeeping in New York.
South Korean officials expect the Kang-Pompeo talks to serve as an opportunity to dispel doubts about the allies’ coordination on the North Korea issue.
“The two sides will compare notes on the assessment of the current situations and discuss future steps in a calm manner,” a foreign ministry official said. “It’s good for Minister Kang and Secretary Pompeo to meet each other as often as possible.”
The chief nuclear envoys of the allies will have talks in the US capital this week as well. Lee Do-hoon, Seoul’s special representative for Korean Peninsula peace and security affairs, plans to make a three-day visit there till Saturday, during which he will meet with US Special Representative for North Korea Stephen Biegun.
Biegun traveled to Beijing for consultations with Chinese officials earlier this week. (Yonhap)